ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Patterned Animals in Chalk Pastel


This is a fantastic project for exploring chalk pastels in a somewhat controlled way. 
I previously called this lesson "Reptile Relief" because we always used reptiles as our animal theme. But, each time I teach this lesson, I have so many students ask me if they can do a bird, or a fish or basically any animal other than a reptile. So now I keep it open choice- it just needs to be any animal/creature that has a pattern on it's body. 

See my previous posts about this project HERE and HERE.

I found the original lesson HERE.

So students get two sheets on black construction paper. They research a patterned animal using their laptops. On one sheet of paper they draw a simplified pattern- it can match their animal or not. On the second sheet, they sketch out a somewhat simplified drawing of their chosen animal. Make sure it's nice and big. Paint over all the lines using white tempera paint and a flat brush.



Once dry, they colour in all the sections using a minimum of two colours of chalk pastels blended together. The animal can match the background colours- then it will appear somewhat camouflaged. 
Or, it can contrast and therefore pop out a bit. 



Once finished, clean up any major chalk smudges with an eraser. Cut out the animal.


Using stacks of small cardboard squares, glue a stack here and there on the back of the animal and then glue this onto the background. This will give a cool low-relief effect.



Some finished Grade 7 - 9 artworks!





 






































 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...