"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, M├ętis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Saturday, December 31, 2016


Here's a mixed media winter cardinal project my Grade 2 students finished before Xmas break. 
I love the bright red of cardinals and they have such a graphic quality to their bodies, so it's a fun lesson to teach.

See my other cardinal lesson HERE.

Students started on Day 1 by drawing a cardinal on 9 x 12" heavy white paper. They outlined their drawing with a jumbo Sharpie, then painted it using tempera paint. Once dry they were cut out.
The next class they created their background.  Students chose a background colour of 9 x 12" construction paper. In pencil, they drew on a branch. For a challenge, I showed students how to overlap branches. They coloured these in using oil pastels. They were encouraged to mix colours for a more realistic effect. Lastly, white tempera paint was dabbed onto the top of branches and painted onto the sky for snow. Then they glued on their cardinal. I hot glued on a red feather for a wing for those students that wanted one.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Faux Stained Glass

Santa Karl Marx, haha!

This was a project my junior and high school classes started right before the Christmas holidays. Most didn't get a chance to finish- I underestimated how long this project would take- but a few finished so I'll show those. You can tie this lesson into any unit on Medieval art where students learn the history and technique of stained glass.

I've seen a few 'faux' stained glass lessons like this online (here's one example) and have always wanted to try it and finally got around to it. Some projects use acetate, others used plastic wrap. I didn't have acetate and tried plastic wrap and didn't like it so I used plastic sheet protectors (much cheaper than acetate!!) instead which worked great.

Students had to design their own stained glass image- it could be Christmas or Winter themed or anything they wanted, really. They drew it on regular photocopy paper then slid it into a page protector. Then they traced over all the pencil lines with a black Sharpie (for the lead lines) then coloured in the image with coloured permanent markers. Areas left blank will show the silver aluminum foil in the background. Once that's all finished, you cut away just the top sheet.

Cut a piece of thin card (we use old cereal boxes) the same size as your plastic sheet (about 8 x 10").
Rip off a sheet of aluminum foil slightly larger than the card and crumple it up then flatten it out. Wrap it around the card and tape it on the back.

As you see below, you'll have an aluminum foil covered cardboard with your image on plastic.

Staple the plastic on top of the foil. The staples actually really doesn't show which is nice.

These were really difficult to photograph with such a reflective nature! 
The photos don't do these justice- they are so sparkly and shimmery with the aluminum foil!

You can also tape around the border with coloured mini duck tape or electrical tape.

a detail of Santa Marx

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Torn Paper Collage Candles

The theme for our upcoming school Winter Concert is 'light'. I try to incorporate this theme into some of my art classes. I found THIS pin on Pinterest and thought it would be perfect for my Grade 3 class.

On heavy white paper, they used tempera discs and painted a yellow and orange circular pattern that would represent the candle light's cast light.

Then, on smaller white paper they painted one sheet colours for their candle, a yellow sheet for the flame and a green sheet for the wreath/greenery a the bottom of the candle.

The next class, students tore a shape for their candle, then the flame. 
Once glued down they ripped long rectangular pieces for the greenery. 

I love the simple charm about these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...