ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pop-Out Reptile in Chalk Pastel


This is a fun chalk pastel lesson that I've done for years with Grade 8 students. I found the lesson plan HERE on the School Specialty website. Here's how we did it:


I pre-distribute white tempera paint into old plastic containers...


on one sheet of black construction paper, paint some 'sections'


on a second sheet of black paper, sketch out and paint a large reptile. 


let the paint dry - we did two coats of white paint so it was x-tra bright...

take out your chalk pastels....


students had to use a minimum of two colours per section....
blend with your finger or a paper towel...


one finished background....



then do the same to the reptile and carefully cut it out....

here's a student colouring the background...

Lastly, you stick a bunch of cardboard squares on the back of the reptile- this will help 'raise' it off the background and glue it to the background.  You could also use those 3-D glue dots for scrapbooking but for me, cutting cardboard squares is easy and, even better, FREEEEE!!!

Ta da!






here's a detail showing the 'pop-up' effect

















2 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

Absolutely amazing artwork
I am glad I found your blog.

Miss said...

Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty proud of my students.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...