ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Monday, July 18, 2022

Sonia Delaunay Abstract Circle Art


Sonia Delaunay (1885 – 1979) was a Ukrainian-born French artist, who spent most of her working life in Paris. She formally trained in Russia and Germany before moving to France and expanding her practice to include textile, fashion, and set design. She co-founded the Orphism art movement, noted for its use of strong colours and geometric shapes, with her husband Robert Delaunay and others. She was the first living female artist to have a retrospective exhibition at the Louvre in 1964, and in 1975 was named an officer of the French Legion of Honor.



Sonia Delaunay, 1914, Prismes électriques

I taught this lesson the last week of school- I wanted a low stress project not involving any paint or 'mess' as the last week the kids are extra squirrelly and the teachers are all exhausted and stress out!
So this project, being marker based, fit the bill. I taught it to my Grade 4,5,6 mixed class. Most completed it within the 80 minute class.

I used large size photocopy paper. I laid out an assortment of circle tracers (bowls and lids) and the students traced a bunch of concentric circles and used rulers to draw diagonal dissenting lines breaking up their circle composition. 



Then they coloured these using markers. 



A fun and low-stress project!  Highly recommend!








 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...