ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Animals with Antlers Silhouette Watercolor Painting


This is a watercolor project inspired by a Social Studies teacher I used to work with. He wanted to teach about Canadian animals with antlers. See my more detailed post about this lesson HERE.
I liked this lesson so much, I added it to my yearly Grade 5 projects. 

We use liquid watercolours for the background sky. This is the brand I use (Handy Art) and I dilute them in sauce containers. 


Grade 5 students painted a sky background on heavy white paper. 
Wet the paper first to help the colours blend together.



Once dry, students choose a handout I made of different silhouettes of Canadian animals (bison, deer, elk, bighorn sheep, moose). None of my students ever choose the bison!! 
They sketch this out on the background sky, including some long natural grasses. They paint these with black tempera paint and some small detail brushes.















 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...