ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rice Patterns Watercolour Weaving

This is a simple paper weaving project- good for an introduction to weaving. I found the lesson here on the School Specialty website. I altered the lesson slightly, substituting rice for salt.

I did this project with a former Grade 8 class and it always surprises me how easily some kids pick up the weaving process (over, under, over, under) and how others struggle with it.

We had two sheets of heavy white paper the same size. We painted them, in this case, with watered down inks, but watercolours would work well. Lay down quite wet washes and them sprinkle rice over them.  Let dry overnight, brush off the rice, then cut the papers into strips and weave away! I think the rice patterns look like tiny little maggots, but in a cute way! lol

Ta da!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...