ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Glue-Resist Watercolor Safari


This is a great lesson that I've done for years- I found it here on the United Art & Education website:

Students choose an African animal, then draw it on heavy white paper in pencil first. The, using an applicator of your choice, (Q-tip, end of a paintbrush, brush, bamboo stick, etc) have students go over the pencil lines with black glue (white glue with india ink or black paint mixed in). Using something other than a pen forces students to 'loosen up' a bit and also gives a nice line variety. Let dry overnight, then students paint it (doesn't have to be realistic) with watercolours or ink. I do a demo of a wet-on-wet technique, mixing analagous colours, or using only warm or only cool colours.
We used ink for these examples.
Ta da!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...