ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures of all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Chinese Blue & White Porcelain Scratch Art Vases



This is a fantastic lesson I've incorporated into my "Art of China" unit. 

It's found HERE on one of my all time favorite art blogs: http://arteascuola.com/. She gives all the instructions on her blog.

The only thing we did differently was use white acrylic paint instead of gesso. We also homemade scratching tools and x-acto blades for the scratching part. My kids enjoy this lesson. See my previous post on this lesson HERE

I started by showing videos of Chinese porcelain being made and a history of Ming Vases. 

Students start by researching Ming vases and sketching out some shape ideas.


They draw their final design large on heavy white paper. 
Colour it in completely using cobalt blue oil pastels. 


Paint it with one thin coat of white acrylic paint. 


Once dry, students can sketch their designs on top, then scratch it away using a bamboo stick or x-acto blade. My students made their own scratch tools by taping a thumb tack to a pencil. lol.



They loved the precise line this gave!





Some Grade 10-12 results:
















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...