ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Hot Chocolate in Oil Pastel


This oil pastel lesson was inspired by a photo (see below) that's been floating around Pinterest for a while. It's by an artist named Heather Galler, who paints in a Folk Art style.



These were created by Grade 5 students: oil pastels on black construction paper .
These took about 2 - 40 minute periods to complete. The goal of this lesson was to have the students learn how to draw an object to look 3D. I demonstrated how to draw a cylinder form and the use of ellipses. I find Grade 5 students are a the age where they want to learn techniques for making their drawings look real

I also ask students to think of their favourite mug at home, or sometimes students do one of their parents' favourite coffee mugs. 

I love teaching oil pastel projects and I try to get as many as I can in with my younger classes as my older students generally HATE oil pastels, lol. They ask every year if I'm planning any oil pastel projects, haha. 

This is also the perfect project for right before the winter holidays as it keeps the kids focused and students could also make them holiday themed if they wanted to. Students had the option of gluing on a pulled apart cotton ball to add some 3D 'steam".



























 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...