ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Monday, May 16, 2022

Quote Paintings





I've only taught this lesson once but I look forward to teaching it again!
Students choose a quote that is meaningful to them and then create a grid type painting.

Start off by deciding on the quote and then count how many letters it has. 
Do not include any punctuation.
Then, decide on your grid formation and paper composition 
(vertical, tall and thin, horizontal, square, etc).

You can base coat your heavy paper first and then measure it all out with a ruler and pencil. 
I told students a grid but you can do whatever shape you want, really (one student went with a hexagon shape). 
Decide on the size of your font- my sample below I went with about 1 inch. The decide on a colour scheme and paint the rest of your squares. I gave students their choice of paint- some went with acrylic, others with watercolour.


Color scheme planning sheet


Research some font types and choose one that appeals to you and the quote. 
Sketch it out in pencil.


Then paint your fonts or use a Sharpie or paint pen.

Here's a couple of completed paintings- I LOVE them!

                "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."

by Leo Tolstoy


                                     "All you have is your fire and the place you need to reach"
                                                              ~song lyrics by Hozier


"I Have a Dream" by Martin Luther King Jr. 



"When all else fails, take a nap"
“If nothing saves us from death, at least love should save us from life.”  
~Pablo Neruda





 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a creative, open ended lesson plan ! Love it:) The possibilities are endless. Love your kids' work as always :) Clean work! Did they use a stencil for the font ? TFS!

Miss said...

Thank you anonymous :) For the fonts, if I remember correctly, some did the transfer method. We printed off fonts, then they coated the back of the paper with 4B pencil. Then place the letter onto the artwork and trace over it with a ballpoint pen. The pen transfers the pencil onto the background. Others free hand drew theirs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...