ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Mixed Media Poppies for Remembrance Day


My junior high classes recently finishes these mixed media poppies for Remembrance Day. Every year, we provide art for our school assembly. This year's poppies were inspired by a poem, provided by the music teacher, which will be recited by a high school student during the assembly (on Zoom). 
The poppies created here will be projected onto a screen during the recitation.

The poem is as follows:

THE INQUISITIVE MIND OF A CHILD


Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
Selling poppies in town today.
The poppies, child, are flowers of love.
For the men who marched away.
But why have they chosen a poppy, Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my child, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.
But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red?
Red is the colour of blood, my child.
The blood that our soldiers shed.
The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy.
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the symbol of grief.
For the men who never came back.
But why, Mummy are you crying so?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are my fears for you my child.
For the world is forgetting again.

I found the initial idea for the lesson HERE on the blog "That Artist Woman". 
Gail always comes up with fantastic Remembrance Day art lessons!

Students stared by painting a 12 x 18" sheet of heavy white paper in grey tones. 
They used tempera paint.



Then they painted at least two coffee filters shades of red. Let everything dry. 



Once dry, students folded the coffee filter and created petal shapes 
and glued it onto their background. 



Using black construction paper, they cut out stems and leaves and glued those on.




For a final touch, they glued on quotes from the poem that I had printed out. 

I absolutely love the results and the uniqueness of each project!
Some Grade 7 - 9 results:

























 

3 comments:

Brandon said...

How did the students fold the coffee filters to cut them?

Brandon said...

How did you have the students fold the coffee filter when the cut the poppies

Miss said...

Brandon: in half once, then half again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...