ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Spring Themed Styrofoam Prints


I finally managed to get around to doing a printmaking lesson this year. I admit, it's not my favourite medium/techniques and I remember vividly it was my least favourite course in Art school (lithography and intaglio- *shudder*). Too many steps, so many materials- not my cup of tea!

But since I discovered marker styro printing, I enjoy teaching it (compared to using a brayer and ink).

For this project, each student got a small piece of styrofoam (about 4 x 6"). They traced the shape onto copy paper and drew their spring themed design on the paper. Then they cut out the paper and taped it to the Styrofoam. They traced over all the lines using a ball point pen. They remove the paper and then re-traced the incised lines to make them even deeper.



Then they coloured the piece using Crayola markers. 
They use a damp sponge and wet their printing paper (regular copy paper worked the best for us), then place their styrofoam on top and massage it really well. This will transfer the marker print. This process is trail and error, especially for Grade 4 students. You need the paper just the right dampness so it definitely takes practice.

We watched THIS tutorial in class and it was super helpful!!





Some finished Grade 4 - 6 prints:
















 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...