ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Winter White Landscape Paintings


Here is one of my all time favourite lessons- I get so excited to see each group's results when I teach this. They come out so varied and so beautiful. It's a lesson that teachers the levels of a landscape (background, middle and foreground) as well as tints (pastels). 
I posted all the steps previously HERE.

This lesson is great for where I live in Canada because it is winter for at least 4 months out of the year and we gets lots of snow! I show the kids how colours in the sky reflect onto the snow- snow is not actually white but it's shadows incorporate the light around it. 

Students find a winter landscape image online to reference- I usually print out the image.  Then they draw it onto large heavy white paper. They paint in all the main areas uses tints of one or two colours. I encourage them to keep it all very pale. Any trees or branches details will be drawn in later using a charcoal pencil. Once dry, they go over all their lines with a charcoal pencil and blend out the line for a soft shaded effect. I will say using a higher quality tempera paint brand really helps with the finished quality of these paintings. 

These are Grade 7 - 9 results:



















Planet Hoth from Star Wars!!










 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...