ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Paul Klee Cat in chalk pastel


This is a really popular art lesson with elementary Art teachers everywhere and for good reason. It combines art history with the art elements of shape and colour. Plus all kids love animal themed art projects! This one will have all the cat lovers in your class very happy.
I've posted this project previously HERE

I show Grade 2 students Klee's famous work seen below. We discuss the shapes used, how he might have drawn it, the colours and colour blending and the symbols they can see within the painting. 

                     
                                


             I project the painting onto my TV so the kids can refer to it while they draw/colour. 

 

They start off my drawing the cat head shapes and then add the bird and circle above it. 


Outline everything with a black wax crayon or oil pastel.


Then we use my least favourite art supply ------> chalk pastels!

They are excellent for blending and getting a nice diffused look so work well for this project. 
Keep wet cloths at each table so the kids can wipe their fingers off. 



Some Grade 2 results:










No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...