ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Red Barn in Perspective Painting


This was my attempt at teaching my Grade 6 class how to draw a traditional red barn in perspective. Perspective is one f those topics I really don't enjoy teaching. I think it's because it has a lot of math and logic involved- two area of major weakness for me! As an artist, visually I can draw in perspective and understand it, but I struggle with really verbally explaining it well to my students. So I tend to show a lot of photos and then draw the barn step by step on chart paper to visually explain it to students. It doesn't help that I hate using rulers to do it, preferring to draw freehand and I ask my kids to do the same. I find when kids use rulers, their drawing tend to end up very rigid and stiff. 

I find that Grade 6-ers love learning how t draw in perspective and they really put a lot of effort into this particular project. I had a lot of handouts and visuals available to them, despite this, I still had many kids who couldn't seem to get the perspective right, so had to do quite a bit of walking around, monitoring and correcting. 

So once they did a little practice, they drew their good copy on large white paper. 


Then they outlined them in Sharpie.



For colouring, I gave them a few options: watercolours, coloured pencils and liquid watercolours.



Here's some of the finished ones (more or less, some still in progress)

















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...