ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Glue Line Chalk Pastel Pumpkins


This is a repeat one of my more popular posts that gets alot of hits from Pinterest around this time of the year. This year I did this lesson with my Grade 7-9 art elective class. 

They start off by drawing between 2-3 overlapping pumpkins on black construction paper (ours are 12 x 18"). It's helpful to have some actual pumpkins (or mini pumpkins) in the classroom for kids to draw from. I encourage them to have different shapes and sizes of pumpkins to create interest and variety (principles of art, ahem :)
They used a light colored pencil to draw with.



Once dry, they traced over all their lines using Elmer's clear glue (my preferred brand because it dries SHINY!!!). You can also use regular white glue.


Let these dry FLAT overnight.


The next class, I do a short demo for students on how to shade and 
add highlights using chalk pastels. 
We're aiming for some realistic looking pumpkins here.
Provide paper towels to clean off the 'dirty' chalk pastels and 
scraps of black paper so kids can test out their colors beforehand.


Color the pumpkins first, then do the background.


Grade 7 - 9  (mostly Grade 8, though) results!


















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this- I am going to try using this with my Art I students with other subject matter. Love your blog.

Joelle said...

I love this technique! Fantastic result of your students!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I have done just chalk with my students before, but using the glue adds a whole new dimension. Thank you for this wonderful technique!

Miss said...

Thanks everyone!

Unknown said...

So would white glue work or does it dry white?

Miss said...

Yes, white glue works, it just dries sort of cloudy and white-ish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...