ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Clay Bird in a Nest


This is a cute Spring clay lesson I've taught to younger students, aged 6 and 7 (Grade 1,2). 
I found the idea for creating the bird's nest at the Almost Unschoolers blog.
We started by making very simple, low pinch pots. Then, using a grater, the kids grated blocks of clay until they had a little pile of twig/grass-like material. You could also use a garlic press, but we didn't have one and the grater seemed to work well enough. The kids love this step! 

   

They patted this all around the outside of the pinch pot. Then they make a bird out of two balls of clay.  
I demonstrate how to 'scratch and attach' the head, wings, and beak using a toothbrush and water.  
Make some little oval eggs and stick them in the nest. 

Here's my sample after being bisque fired.
I lost the eggs somewhere along the way and had to make new ones...


Here's student work waiting to be glazed.
You can see some students had little birds hatching out of the eggs- so cute!


Mine after glazing- I like to use Mayco Stroke & Coat. The one below I actually over-fired (fired it at cone 6 instead of cone 06- whoops!) but it still survived, thank god, though the colours are much duller.

3 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

These are so beautiful!

Mrs. Hahn said...

These are so sweet… Any mom would love to display these beautiful works!

Rina k6art.com said...

Miss -
GRATED clay? Great texture. Great idea! I bet the kids loved making these birds.

Rina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...