ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Glue Line Chalk Pastel Landscapes


This is a chalk pastel landscape lesson I did in conjunction with the Grade 4 Social Studies teacher at my school. They study geographical regions in our province as part of their curriculum. In art, students chose a region to develop into a landscape. They needed to include a background, middle ground and foreground. We used one of my favourite techniques: clear glue on black construction paper. Students needed about 4-40 minute periods to complete these.

On day one, students chose a landscape region- I printed out reference photos for them from the Internet.


I also projected a slideshow of different landscape photos onto my flat screen tv (which I looooove).



Students drew their landscape, in pencil, on 12 x 18" black construction paper. 


Then they outlined all their pencil lines using Elmer's clear glue. I prefer clear glue, as opposed to white glue, for this technique. I will say, though, that these glue bottles are tough for little hands to squeeze- they're quite rigid, at least mine are. 



Let these dry flat overnight.




Then students coloured them in using chalk pastels. My students either LOVE or HATE chalk pastels!! I love how you can blend with them and easily go over any 'mistakes'. I hate how messy they are!! I demonstrated how to mix colours and use white to create highlights and extra realism.


Grade 4 results:














 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I was hoping to find - these turned out incredible!
What element of design did you grade your students on? Thanks in advance!

Miss said...

Thanks Anonymous :)
For assessing these, I marked for the element of space (does their landscape have depth? Background, middle ground and foreground?) In terms of craftsmanship, I also assessed how well they used colour- blending, mixing colours and adding highlights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...