ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Saturday, May 30, 2015

African Animals paintings


This was a painting project one of my mixed elective classes (Grade 4-6) recently finished.
Each student chose an African animal to draw. They could draw the whole body or simply a close-up portrait. On large heavy white paper, they measured a thick border (about 1.5 inches) using a ruler. 
I encouraged them to design a simple border. I had handouts with African patterns on them to help inspire. 


Once the border was designed, they drew their animal inside.


They used tempera tp paint these. It took quite a few classes due to the large format. 


Sometimes it's easier to work on the floor!


Once everything was painted and dry, students used a charcoal pencil to trace over all the lines and used a finger to smudge out the line. This added some soft texture and contrast.


Like I said, these took quite a while to complete, but we were all happy with the final result. 
I displayed these on easels at out school's musical production of "The Lion King". 



































2 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful work! I really like the addition of the African pattern borders.

Remember the Shadows said...

Wonderful sense of freedom and concentration. The patterns were unique to the child.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...