ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Mixed Media Portrait Paintings



A wonderful mixed media portrait project which I found HERE on the art blog: Art Room Britt.

I printed out sheets of photocopied vintage dictionary pages and sheet music to be used as collage paper. Grade 4 - 6 students cut these into squares and glued it onto heavy tagboard. 



Once dry, they gave the collaged background a translucent wash of watercolour paint.


Then, listening to my verbal instructions, students painted their faces directly using watered down black acrylic paint. No pencil sketching beforehand!  The goal was for students to be able to trust themselves as well as working with any 'mistakes'. Students were nervous about this step!




A transparent wash of watered-down white tempera was added to the background and 
whites of the eyes for a bit of contrast.








 

2 comments:

Jacquelien said...

Wow what a great lesson!

Miss said...

Thank you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...