ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Oil Pastel Birds


For this project, Grade 6 students choose from a variety of birds that I have printed out. I choose birds from our province (Alberta) but you could also choose to do birds of a different country. 


They choose a colour of 9 x 12" construction paper and sketch out the basic shape of the bird. 
I do a demonstration on how to do this. I encourage them to draw big and fill the page- this is a huge challenge for this age group I find. 



Once I approve their drawing they start with oil pastels. I've always used Pentel brand. 


They start using the lightest colours and always black last to prevent any unnecessary 
muddying or smears of black. 



This project took about 3- 40 minute periods or so to complete. 





Some of the finished Grade 6 works:















 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...