This is a project I swore I would never teach again as I didn't have great results the first time and many students really struggled. But I'm stubborn and thought I'd find an easier way to do this as I think the effect is quite nice and its a simple way to introduce monoprinting.
See my first post about this project HERE.
The main difference is one thing I changed and one tip my students figured out.
Instead of styrofoam sheets, I used fun foam or craft foam. You can buy packs of 4 x 6" craft foam at the Dollar Store. Students drew a big leaf shape, with veins, onto a piece of craft foam. They pass over the lines with a dull pencil to create indented lines.
Then they colour in the leaf shape with water-based markers.
Dampen a sheet of cardstock with a damp sponge. Immediately place the leaf upside down and- this is the tip the students invented- use the bottom of their water bottle to press down the foam. This weight helped create a more crisp monoprint. It takes a few attempts to find the right combination of paper dampness and pressure. So I'm always encouraging the students to keep trying even if their first prints don't look that great.
Keep coloring and printing the leaf until the paper is filled.
Once dry the next class, carefully cut them out leaving a thin white border around each leaf. Glue stick onto dark coloured construction paper.
Some Grade 4 - 6 finished pieces: