ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Leaf Prints with Sponged Backgrounds


This is one of my all-time favourite Fall projects. The only problem where I live is that our fall is so brief and we also don't have a huge variety of leaves to choose from near my school; we have mostly aspens. In this case, I ask the students to bring leaves from their backyards as some have a wider variety of interesting leaves to choose from. We have a park nearby so I pick some fresh leaves the morning of the project for kids who need them. It's best to use freshly fallen leaves that are still flexible. 

I've posted about this project previously HERE, where you can see all the steps. 

Grade 8 students start by making leaf prints on black paper using white tempera.  
This takes some practice so have lots of scrap paper ready. The next class, when the prints are dry, students colour in the black spaces of the leaves using pencil crayons. 


Then, using tempera, they choose colours to sponge print in the background. The can use one colour or mix colours. We use a combination of mini natural sponges that I bu in the craft section of Walmart or round bristle brushes for smaller spaces. The students just use these to stipple the paint onto the background. 




Some of the Grade 7 - 9 results:























close up detail




1 comment:

Elizabeth K said...

Hi there! I'd love to share a photo or two from you twig weaving activity in a magazine. Please email me at ekubey [at]cnps[dot]org to let me know if this would be okay or not! http://afaithfulattempt.blogspot.com/2015/01/twig-weaving.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...