ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Sunday, November 2, 2014

Spooky Silhouettes


Here's a fun Halloween project my Grade 2's finished last week. 
I found the lesson HERE on Artsonia- done my students at Cedar Creek Elementary School.

We used orange photocopier paper- nice and thin for markers.
Students drew a bare tree and then added whatever type of spooky/scary/Halloween objects/creatures they wanted. I explained to the kids what a silhouette was, so not to include any details like a face- to just focus on the shape and outline.


Kids started out by coloring these in using regular black Crayola markers, but they dried up FAST. So I had to bring out the big guns: my top-secret-hidden-in-my-bottom-desk-drawer KING SIZE Sharpies!! Yes, that's right: King Size. I originally ordered the big chisel tip Sharpies a couple of weeks ago, but these King Size monsters arrived instead. I didn't even know these existed! 
They are the bomb-diggity.

Anyway, colour in the whole design. Oh, and open the windows too! lol 
Sharpie fuuuumes


Then you need to have some hole punches ready. I originally ran around the school like a mad woman 10 minutes before class trying to empty any three hole punches I could find. The holes I got were not that great- all stuck together and had jagged edges. Then I went to make a quick photocopy and the machine said "PLEASE EMPTY THE HOLE PUNCH RESERVOIR". Seriously, it was like a sign from the art gods. I didn't even know photocopiers had a hole punch reservoir (I never use the hole-punch feature...). Sure enough, after hunting a bit, I found the hole punch holder-thingy and it was filled with perfect little circles!! 

JACKPOT
perfect little circles for eyes

So these circles get glued on as 'eyes' peering out from the dark. Draw a black dot in the middle and you're all done. My Grade 2 kids LOVED making these, especially the boys :)







OK- I do NOT know what's going on in this artwork above! lol










2 comments:

Mrs. P, Art Explorer said...

Such a cute project and I love your description of the hole punch "score"--it made me laugh! I also did a Halloween silhouette project this year using shoes and printmaking to make spooky houses (http://www.createartwithme.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-making-of-spooky-village-and-poem.html). I really like the process you used to have the students create the silhouettes--so easy to understand. These are great--thanks for sharing! Mrs. P

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. P :) Yes, I was very happy to find the hole punched paper- aaaah, the little things that make Art teachers happy ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...