ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Paper Curl Observational Drawing


This is a super simple observational drawing lesson that has, in my opinion, very elegant, fresh and contemporary results. Plus it's very inexpensive!!!
I found the lesson HERE on the Painted Apple art blog.
I taught this to my Grade 7 - 9 drawing elective class.

I cut a bunch of strips of heavier weight white paper using my paper cutter. 
Between about 6 - 8 " in length. Have students choose a strip and then twist/bend/manipulate it into some type of curl. I was impressed by the variety of curls students came up with.


Students had already learned how to do a simple line contour drawing, so they started with that, drawing lightly with a HB pencil until they got the proportion just right. 




Then, using darker drawing pencils, blending stumps/ tortillons and kneaded erasers (my students love these), they started adding shading. They were encouraged to use the entire value scale.
I turned all the classroom lights off and just let in the natural sunlight 
which come from only one side of our room; it created a consistent shadow on all of the curls.

Most students managed to finish one curl in an 80 minute period; a few needed more time, 
especially those with more complex and/or larger curls.









I loved this 'Tower of Babel-esque' curl below!!!



my quick demo on my easel

Completed Grade7/8/9 drawings:

















5 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

This is a great lesson. I love it. Do you think it would be something you would try with a younger bunch of kids? How young would you go? I loved your word sculptures too. I loved your word sculptures and did them with my class as well. This is a quicker smaller project working on the same concept. Very nice! http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2013/02/shadow-words.html

Miss said...

Mrs. Hahn, thanks for you comment :) I taught this lesson to a Grade 4-6 class as well. The Grade 4's and some of the 5's really struggled with it; it was definitely too challenging for them. So for my own students, I wouldn't do this with younger than Grade 6. Your students might be different, though!

Ch. Stückelberger said...

simple and great

Abby said...

I like this! I may try this with my 6th graders.
Abby
http://artfromonethousandhearts.blogspot.com

Miss said...

Thanks for your comments Ch. Stuckelberger and Abby :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...