ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Taj Mahal Symmetrical Drawings


This is a great lesson if you're studying the art of India or architecture. My goal with this project was to teach students how to make a symmetrical drawing by using the 'folded transfer paper' technique. It's a bit detailed and time-consuming but the results are worth it, in my opinion. You often see this technique used with a butterfly.

We started off the project by looking at photos of the Taj Mahal and discussing the lines/colors and shapes involved in it. I also gave them some background info on it (date built (1632-1653), purpose (it's a mausoleum!), etc.)

Start off by folding a sheet of white paper (landscape format) in half horizontally. 
I projected a photo of the Taj Mahal on the smartboard so students could see the details. I told them to look for simple shapes. Starting from the fold, draw only half of the Taj Mahal. Imagine a dotted line going down the middle of the Taj. Important: use dark drawing pencils for this- like a 4B or higher.


Once the simplified drawing is complete, fold the paper in on itself and rub the back of the drawing with the handle of a pair of scissors.


When you unfold the paper, the image will have lightly transferred to the opposite side, creating a perfectly symmetrical drawing, or mirror-image.


Trace over these lines with a pencil.



Then, use a permanent makrer to trace over all the pencil lines. This step, frankly, is optional. I really like how the pencil drawings looked just as they were and contemplated stopping at that stage. But I didn't. lol



I felt the drawing, at this stage, looked somehow unfinished, so I discussed with the kids what we could add for colour. We finally decided upon using watercolor pencils as they are very neat to color with, so it's wouldn't get too messy and ruin our drawing.
So choose any color and fill in the background- press good and hard for bright colors.


Using simply water and a wet brush, gently paint over the background. 
The watercolor pencil crayon will dissolve and look lovely!


Grade 3 results















7 comments:

Mary said...

I'll have to try this. Thanks!

Miss said...

Post a link if you try the project, Mary!

Mrs. Skojec said...

Oh, I've been toying with a tajmahal project for a while. Great idea!

Unknown said...

I am loving this project right now and so are my students!!! Next week I am going to wear a Sari and play Ravi Shankar (sitar player). Thank you for your awesome blog - so many fun ideas filled with rich art info :) !

Miss said...

Thanks Pam and Kim :)

Joelle said...

Great project about symmetry! Thanks!

Miss said...

Thank you Unknown and Joelle :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...