ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Friday, August 19, 2011

Illustrated Recipe


This was a sketchbook assignment I gave to my Grade 10 students.  They were to choose a recipe (preferably a favourite recipe they've made before) and illustrate it in whichever medium and method they wanted. I was surprised with this assignment how many students don't have favourite recipes. I'm a huge fan of the artist Wayne Thiebaud and love any art that's related to food.

Here are some of the results:









This Kulfi recipe is very delicious and easy! I've tried it!
Add  a can of mango pulp and you've got amazing mango ice cream, no ice cream maker required!


While we're on the topic of food, here's a gorgeous video I found on the Tiger in a Jar website that shows how (in a very artistic way) to make beet cake.

Watch the video below:

"There is something beautiful about the baking process. The way flour feels in your hands or the sound of eggs cracking on the edge of a bowl. Baking is a gathering of interesting materials, a mixed medium art piece of sorts, that ends in a cake instead of a canvas."



beet cake from tiger in a jar on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Art at Chesterbrook Academy Elementary School said...

What an original assignment.
I love the Kulfi project.

Hope Hunter Knight said...

love this idea - thanks for sharing

Hannah- Art.Paper.Scissors.Glue! said...

Those turned out great! And can be easily adaptable to any grade.

Miss said...

Thanks all!
Hannah: Yes, this is very adaptable to any grade. I've made an entire recipe book (for a fundraiser) with this project from Grades 1-12.

Mrs. Skojec said...

Great idea! I'm definitely doing this one! I always decorate my own recipe pages so it will be...a piece of cake! Heh heh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...