ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dutch Tulip Fields


This is a lovely Spring project I found on the "Kids Artists" blog:

It's a one-point perspective lesson using the famous Dutch tulip fields. 
I like any perspective lessons that aren't streets or city scenes.

So I had my Grade 6 students draw a horizon line and then put a dot or the vanishing point somewhere along the line. Using a ruler, they drew the fields. Then they drew in a traditional windmill and trees, bushes, etc. along the horizon line.


Instead of using only marker, I had the kids use the marker watercolour technique which I like so much. 
They outline each section with a marker...


Then use a wet brush and blend over the marker. 
It bleeds and spreads and creates a wash of transparent colour.
They painted the skies with tempera discs.


They could add details on top and those would dissolve to give the illusion of flower fields.
Before water:


After water:

Thanks to Jacquelien at Kids Artists for the pretty project idea!

Ta da!




















My bulletin board display:




4 comments:

Jacquelien said...

Thanks for linking my blog! These turned out very nice: it 's exactly what Holland looks like in this time of the year! I love the use of markers and water, I've never done that. Thanks for the idea!

Miss said...

Thanks for the gorgeous project idea, Jacquelien- I've travelled throughout the Netherlands, but never in the Spring- something on my to-do list!

cpenner said...

I did this with my grade 4's this year. Very cool!

Confessions of a Modern Day [ex] Substitute Teacher

Miss said...

I'm glad the project worked out for you cpenner :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...