ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Saturday, May 21, 2011

Cupcake Paper Flowers


This is a cute and easy Spring/Summer collage project that's great for reinforcing cutting, folding and pasting skills with younger students.  I've done this project with Grades K-2.

Simply take colored cupcake liners (2-3 per flower) and fold them as if you were cutting a snowflake: in half once, then again, then again if you wish.  Cut the edges in a decorative manner (fringes, wavy line, scalloped, etc), unfold and stack them together with a dab of glue. 
Glue decorative items in the middle (beads, buttons, pom-poms, glitter, etc).

Take a sheet of colored paper (I used blue for the sky) and paint on some green stems with leaves. 
Glue your cupcake flower on top.

For the grass, I had pre-cut wide strips of scrap green paper.  Have kids cut a grass edge (I demonstrate how to snip large triangles off the top); they could also cut a fringe, whatever you want.  Glue stick this grass on the bottom of the page and ruffle the grass a bit for a bit of a 3-D look.

These could easily be embellished further: have the kids paint/draw in a sun, rainbow, make bugs and glue them in the grass, etc. etc.



2 comments:

Pam Skojec said...

Simple and instructional. My kinders need this kind of practice.

Miss said...

Thanks Pam- I agree- this is a great project for Kinders, especially at the beginning of the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...