ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Friday, March 11, 2011

Ink Creatures


This is a fun and creative lesson my student teacher taught to my Grade 8 and 9 classes.
It is inspired by the 'daily monsters' created by artist Stefan G. Bucher.

You basically take black ink, apply a blob (with a paintbrush) to a sheet of cardstock and blow it into a pattern with a straw.  Then you turn that 'shape' into a little creature or monster, using fine tip black permanent markers and colored markers for details. You can also include a background or setting for your creature, which some of my students did as you will see below.

This project is also great because it uses such simple supplies:
black ink (we used India ink), fine tip black markers, coloured markers, straws, cardstock (or any smooth paper). I buy my straws at the Dollar Store and cut them in half as well. (yes, I'm thrifty!)
Note: the India ink smelled pretty strong in our room so I would recommend opening windows for this one if you have them ----I don't :(




Blowing the ink into shapes- some students made very conscious decisions as to where
 they wanted the ink to go- others just went for it.


Finished shape- let dry a bit (doesn't take too long).


Add details with markers to make it look like a creature.


Grade 9 finished creatures.
Ta da!























































10 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

Very fun and creative! Thanks for sharing!

Miss said...

thank you!

Mrs. Hahn said...

Me again… I loved this project so much I recently did it with my 3rd grade. I put your link on the site as well. Thanks again!

http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2011/03/daily-monster.html

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. Hahn! All the credit goes to my student teacher who thought of and taught this lesson- the students LOVED it. I love that art projects can be easily adaptable to all grade levels and your Grade 3 results are so good!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are so cool! What size paper did you use?

Miss said...

Thanks Melissa. We used regular smooth cardstock meant for a printer (bought at Staples)- around 8.5 x 11".

Mrs. Tannert said...

These are awesome!!! Your post inspired me to try an adapted version of this with my fourth graders. Check it out: http://suffieldart.blogspot.com/2012/04/ink-blot-illustrations-inspired-by.html

Thank you so much for sharing!

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. Tannert. Your kids did an amazing job! I like the addition of a title in your as well.

Tatjana Knudsen said...

These are really wonderful pictures, and I can't wait to try it with my students. I know that the will love this idea - especially the boys. Thank you very much for sharing :)

kanimozhi sarav said...

Wow. Amazing. Must try this with my little one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...