ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Ink Creatures


This is a fun and creative lesson my student teacher taught to my Grade 8 and 9 classes.
It is inspired by the 'daily monsters' created by artist Stefan G. Bucher.

You basically take black ink, apply a blob (with a paintbrush) to a sheet of cardstock and blow it into a pattern with a straw.  Then you turn that 'shape' into a little creature or monster, using fine tip black permanent markers and colored markers for details. You can also include a background or setting for your creature, which some of my students did as you will see below.

This project is also great because it uses such simple supplies:
black ink (we used India ink), fine tip black markers, coloured markers, straws, cardstock (or any smooth paper). I buy my straws at the Dollar Store and cut them in half as well. (yes, I'm thrifty!)
Note: the India ink smelled pretty strong in our room so I would recommend opening windows for this one if you have them ----I don't :(




Blowing the ink into shapes- some students made very conscious decisions as to where
 they wanted the ink to go- others just went for it.


Finished shape- let dry a bit (doesn't take too long).


Add details with markers to make it look like a creature.


Grade 9 finished creatures.
Ta da!























































10 comments:

Mrs. Hahn said...

Very fun and creative! Thanks for sharing!

Miss said...

thank you!

Mrs. Hahn said...

Me again… I loved this project so much I recently did it with my 3rd grade. I put your link on the site as well. Thanks again!

http://minimatisse.blogspot.com/2011/03/daily-monster.html

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. Hahn! All the credit goes to my student teacher who thought of and taught this lesson- the students LOVED it. I love that art projects can be easily adaptable to all grade levels and your Grade 3 results are so good!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

These are so cool! What size paper did you use?

Miss said...

Thanks Melissa. We used regular smooth cardstock meant for a printer (bought at Staples)- around 8.5 x 11".

Unknown said...

These are awesome!!! Your post inspired me to try an adapted version of this with my fourth graders. Check it out: http://suffieldart.blogspot.com/2012/04/ink-blot-illustrations-inspired-by.html

Thank you so much for sharing!

Miss said...

Thanks Mrs. Tannert. Your kids did an amazing job! I like the addition of a title in your as well.

Tatjana Knudsen said...

These are really wonderful pictures, and I can't wait to try it with my students. I know that the will love this idea - especially the boys. Thank you very much for sharing :)

Kanisarav said...

Wow. Amazing. Must try this with my little one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...