ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Monday, March 7, 2011

Barbara Kruger Style Poster


This is a high school poster project inspired by the work of American conceptual artist Barbara Kruger.

She is best known for her striking black and white photographs overlaid with declarative captions—in white-on-red font.  Much of her text questions the viewer about feminism, consumerism and individual autonomy and desire.


Untitled, Barbara Kruger, 1987

I started off this project by showing a slideshow of Kruger's work.  Students were asked to think about an issue or cause or message they wanted to portray in a poster.  They used digital cameras to take original photos, then created a short statement to complement/reflect the photo.  They could do this either in Photoshop (if they knew how because I have nooooo clue how to use it), or they could do it 'old skool' like I did- simply print a black and white photo and print the text (done in Word), in colour, on a separate sheet and then cut and paste it (literally- with a glue stick- heh, heh) all together.
They were all mounted on red paper.

I'm lucky in my classroom as I have a colour printer and the students all have Macbooks
and cameras we can sign out, so this was a fairly simple project to do.

Here are my Grade 10/11 results:












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...