ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Friday, June 21, 2024

Medicine Wheel Collage

 


Today is National Indigenous Peoples Day. It is a day recognizing and celebrating the cultures and contributions of the First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Indigenous peoples of Canada. Every year in Canada, numerous activities are organized across the country on June 21 to showcase the richness and diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Métis cultural expressions and stories.

Our school made medicine wheels in our homeroom classes. My homeroom decided to make a collage.
In indigenous cultures, medicine wheels represent the alignment and continuous interaction of the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual realities. It reminds us that we have four parts to our overall well being. In the medicine wheel we are taught to balance our mental, physical, spiritual and emotional health. The circle shape represents the interconnectivity of all aspects of one’s being, including the connection with the natural world. 

Medicine wheels are frequently believed to be the the circle of knowledge that provides the power we each have over our own lives.

Before this art project, I showed my homeroom THIS VIDEO explaining medicine wheels.

So, using poster board, we painted the four quadrants with acrylic paint. 


I drew the four elements on chart paper for my homeroom to refer to.



Then, they looked through magazine to find word/phrases that matched with 
the themes of physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.


Then, they glued them onto the appropriate quadrant.





I cut out 4 feather templates to use as 'labels'.


Our finished medicine wheel!





















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...