ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Klimt Gold Patterns Collage with Gold Pen




This is a line and pattern project based on the work of Austrian artist Gustav Klimt. He is one of my favourite artists and I love teaching this lesson. 

I start off by showing a slideshow of Klimt's works and we discuss his use of gold and patterns. 
Here's a good video about this work you can show your students. 

I've posted all the specific steps previously HERE.

Start with a magazine image (preferable) of a figure with some skin showing. Cut it out.


Trace around the figure on black paper (8 x 10") then cut away the clothing. Glue down the flesh parts with a glue stick. Using a pencil, sketch out the patterns. Clothing should be intricate and detailed and the background bolder or simpler for contrast



We used a variety of gel pens (Pentel and Uniball are very good brands).

 

I also had these gold flakes that I bought from Dollarama a few years ago. Kids LOVE these. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them in stores for a few years. 


Fill in all the patterns with the gold gel pens.





Some finished Grade 10-12 artworks:




























No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...