ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Sunday, July 2, 2023

Negative Space Painting: Monstera Leaf


Last project of the year I managed to squeeze in, I don't know how!  This is a brilliant project from 
Art Room Britt that uses up the painted paper placemats we use all year to protect our tables. 
I use 12 x 18" construction paper. By the end of the year, they're all textured and cool looking.

I actually have a huge monstera in my classroom. It's my own plant from home but it got too big so I brought it into my classroom. So I was able to use that to really show the kids the leaves. 
I did this project with a whole bunch of students: Grades 4,5,6,7,8 and 9!!

First they practiced drawing a monstera leaf cutting in a glass of water.


Then they sketched it onto the paper placemat. Use a dark pencil so it actually shows up.


Then paint the background, or negative space around it, with white acrylic. 
We definitely needed two layers of paint with my student grade acrylic. 


Once dry, they outlined it all with coloured pencils in a dark tone like navy blue or dark purple.



Not everyone managed to finish but some did!








 

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your art projects are incredible! Great work!!!

Miss said...

Thank you so much, Emily :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...