ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I respect the histories, languages and cultures all the Indigenous peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our community.

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Pirate Treasure Maps




Grade 7-9 students made these detailed treasure maps.

I saw this lesson on a Canadian arts & crafts TV show, "Art Zooka", early one morning when I was home sick from work!
 

First they sketched a plan. They were encouraged to include a compass rose, a pirate ship, a Jolly Roger flag, a path and 'X' for the treasure and a scroll with some sort of title. Many kids thought up a theme for their map. They had to also think of unusual names for all the features/obstacles on the island.

Then they drew a good copy on thin white drawing paper and outlined it all in fine tip permanent marker.




 Then colored it with pencil crayons- I encouraged them to press hard and use
shading and value changes for extra realism...



Finally, they cut the edges unevenly, some tore them and then we tea (regular black tea bags) stained them all and crumpled them up to make them look two hundred years old.



Some finished maps- I love all the detail in these!!  Click on each one to view it up close.































No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...