ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Giraffe's Can't Dance paintings


This is a great project to teach the idea of both figurative-type drawing and creating a sense of movement. I try and teach it every year to my Grade 5's. The book, that this lesson is based on, is also very charming and gives a wonderful message about being yourself. 

I posted about this lesson a couple of years ago and you can see more of the steps HERE.
I tend to change up the background every year or so and have done the background paper using watercolour, liquid tempera and tempera cakes (seen below). 
The students draw their own giraffe dancing in a pose of their choice on regular white paper. 
They colour this using coloured pencils and outline it with a fine tip Sharpie. These are then cut out and glued carefully onto their background paper. 
This display is always a crowd pleaser and makes everyone who views it smile!

First: paint a background sky and ground and hills with paint of your choice. 
I demonstrate how to fade out a full moon.



Draw your giraffe in pose of your choice. Outline in sharpie. Colour. Cut out.


Some Grade 5 artworks:









 

2 comments:

Anika said...

Oh my gosh I love this lesson! What fun!

Miss said...

Thank you Anika- the teachers at my school love when I hang these up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...