ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Monday, June 29, 2020

Egyptian Cartouches


After our King Tut/Cleopatra projects, my Grade 6 students learn about Egyptian hieroglyphs and how to write their name using the cartouche format. 
I provide a cartouche template and an alphabet translation for their name. 



They sketch their name out vertically in pencil, the go over it in Sharpie and colour the background however they want- watercolours, coloured pencils, markers. Let dry then cut it out.



On a sheet of heavy white paper/cardstock, students design a border in an Egyptian style. They need to measure it to make sure there's enough space for their cartouche in the middle.


Again, they use markers or paint.


Once dry, glue stick the cartouche in the middle of the background border.


Some Grade 6 finished artworks:














No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...