ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Pop Art Hearts Mixed Media


This is a fun and colourful project that I found on Instagram HERE on the art teacher account by Lauralee Chambers. Her photo was so whimsical and happy I knew I had to try the lesson.

We used bleeding art tissue- they type that dissolves its colour when wet. It can be tricky to find 
where I live so I order it online. 


So Grade 5 students chose their colours for the background and cut the tissue paper into large squares. I had pre-cut heavy white paper into squares. They wet the paper, lay down a tissue square then let dry and peeled them off at the end of class. This easily took one 40 minute period- some kids didn't even finish. I have to say that these were absolutely gorgeous on their own!! Once dry, though, I found the colours faded a bit and were lighter.




The next class, students folded a scrap sheet of copy paper in half and cut out a heart, making sure it was large enough to fill a good chunk of the background paper (we talk about focal point here). 
They trace their heart template onto the background paper and paint it with tempera. Some mixed in glitter glue for extra sparkle. 



Once dry, students added a chunky white highlight using chalk. Fun!







2 comments:

LMF said...

Do you have an email sign up to get your projects in my inbox? Thanks!

Miss said...

Hi Lisa,
On the right hand sidebar, you will see where it says "Follow by email". Just put in your email address and you'll get my new posts in your inbox :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...