ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Wax Crayon Batik Style Pumpkins


I love wax crayon style batik projects- they usually have a really high success rate with all students.
I found THIS project via Pinterest using pumpkins and thought it would be perfect for an October lesson with my Grade 5 students. 

This is also a great lesson in learning how to draw a pumpkin realistically, to give it a sense of form. My students have already practiced this with me in Grade 3 and 4 so are pretty good at this point and need little drawing guidance.

They drew their pumpkin on regular photocopy paper. 
Then they coloured it in thickly using wax crayons.


Trace over the pencil lines with a black crayon. This helps it stand out later.


Once everything is coloured in, they crumple up their artwork one or two times. 
They get a big kick out of this part! Then flatten it out.


I usually use watered down acrylic black acrylic pant for the batik effect. Paint a layer over the entire artwork, wait a couple minutes or so, then I rinse them off in the sink and put them to dry on a large piece of construction paper.

2018 UPDATE: this year students painted over their artwork using undiluted black liquid watercolours. They wiped off the excess with paper towel. 
This worked quite well and is easier than using the acrylic paint. 



Some Grade 5 results












4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would this work with tempura paint?

Miss said...

I don't think it would work with tempera paint, unless it was very high quality. It's not waterproof and would probably just wash right off the paper. I would do a practice test first, though- you never know!

Michelle said...

I love this project because it works with all ages! I did it last year with upper elementary and kindergarten and they both turned out wonderfully. This year I have high schoolers and middle schoolers who don’t have much art background and I know they will enjoy the surprise of what the black paint does. Our class is on Halloween and they asked for a fun project and this one fits the bill. I’ll let you know how they loved it!

Miss said...

Thank you Michelle- I'm so glad this project worked out for you! I just finished this project with a class today and always love the textured results. Thanks for your comment :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...