ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Hot Chocolate in Oil Pastels: Pattern & Colour


This oil pastel lesson was inspired by a photo (see below) that's been floating around Pinterest for a while. It's by an Etsy artist named Heather Galler, who works in a Folk Art style.


I modified a lesson found HERE on Cassie Stephens amazing art blog. 

My Grade 5 students started off by sketching out a hot chocolate mug in the center of a square of black construction paper. They added a table line then added patterns in the background and on the table. Then they outlined all their pencil lines using a black wax crayon. 
Then they coloured the drawings in using oil pastels.


Once coloured in completely, they went over their original black lines with a black oil pastel 
to really make the image pop. Some took a cotton ball or two and fluffed them out and glued them on their hot chocolate for 'steam'.
This lesson took about 3 - 40 minute periods for my students to complete.
I can post these hot beverage artworks now because it's still cold and snowy and
wintry where we live! (-17C today! brrrrrr!)
















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great project. Really is something I would do in the classroom!

-DanielleW

Cressyberta said...

Hi,
Really nice blog with some cute arts drawn by a cute child. It really looks good.My only son named Jhon who is recently attending an art class at Euro Art Studio. He also likes to draw pictures. Before some days in one evening, he drew this type of image when I drunk tea with his father. He saw the tea cup & drawn this on a piece of paper. Really the drawing was so cute like him.
Thanks for sharing this nice post.

Miss said...

Thanks Danielle :)

Cressyberta: thanks for your comment :)

Christine said...

I just did these with a class of grade 4/5 students and they turned out pretty good!

Confessions of a Modern Day Substitute Teacher

Miss said...

Glad to hear Christine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...