ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Clown Portraits


My Grade 2 students recently finished their clown portraits which is part of their Portraiture unit. We've been creating portraits in different medium, using colour to express different moods. 
In this one, obviously we're trying to create happy moods using bright colours. However, if you're like me and find clowns incredibly creepy, then these are not happy! lol

I found the original lesson HERE on the fantastic Kids Artist blog. 

Students first chose a coloured piece of 9x12" construction paper. Then, they drew and cut an oval or a circle onto plain white paper. (This is when you hear all the students say "An oval is soooo haaaard to draw!!") hahaha!
 They cut this out, glued it onto their construction paper, and, using a black marker, 
drew the face and all the details.
They coloured in the clown using either oil pastels or construction paper crayons. 

(NOTE: I keep my oil pastels and chalk pastels in THESE amazing bowls from the children's section at IKEA. They're the perfect size (wide and low and non-tippy). 
Two students share a bowl. They're only $2 for 6 bowls!!

Some students cut out a big red nose from paper. 
On a separate sheet of 12x18" construction paper, students learned about mono-printing. They used a toilet paper tube and dipped it into tempera paint, and stamped it around the border.



Once the borders are dry, glue the finished clown portraits onto it using white glue. 


This clown below is all kinds of amazing!!!!!










 








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...