ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Monday, December 1, 2014

Food Chain Collage


This was a collaborative project I did with one of the Science teachers at my school. He was teaching his kids about food chains and wanted an art project to go along with it. He found THIS image via Pinterest as initial inspiration for the project. 
UPDATE: The poster was designed by art director Dhanashri Ubhayakar.

I turned the digital image into a collage project using construction paper.
I used 12 x 18" construction paper. Have a background colour (in my case, turquoise). Then start with your largest animal (the top predator, I guess... the Science teacher explained this part to the kids, heh, heh)

I folded my paper vertically so I only had to draw half the polar bear and it also made it symmetrical. I collaged on the eyes, nose and teeth from scraps of paper.


Then make all the other animals slightly smaller... 




My messy workspace below....


Ok- once you have all the animals (our students were required to have 3 animals plus a plant) 
it's time to layer them and glue it all together.


This took some fiddling and such, but I found it easiest to lay it all out and then start from gluing the smallest middle part first (the plant- I lost my mini tree) and work your way up. 
I used dots of white glue. It went faster than using a glue stick.


Grade 7 student results!




      




      








    


21 comments:

NickScrapShack said...

What a fantastic idea!

Anonymous said...

Just G R E A T !!!! The seventh graders must have loved this project. Just enough teeth to satisfy the Hunger Games crowd.

Gobryan said...

I just did this with my 4th graders. They loved it!! I loved it!!! It looks fantastic on my walls for open house. I am going to have them write a little blurb about the food chain they depicted. This is a keeper project that I will use every year. Food webs is a 4th grade standard too. Thank you for sharing.

Miss said...

Helene: thank you- I will pass that along to the Science teacher.

Remember the Shadows- yes, I think they enjoyed this project. Esp. the boys and all the sharp teeth, lol!

Gobryan: Glad to hear it worked out for you- not sure if my 4th graders could do this!! I think it was quite challenging for my 7th graders! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!! Thanks so much (from France)

Tonya said...

I Love this. I wonder how I would implement it with 4th graders. Would the teacher make all the animal/plant templates and then the kids just cut out? The results are so beautiful.

Miss said...

Tonya- funny you should mention 4th Grade. After I made my sample, one of my Grade 4 students saw it and said "Hey, I want to make one" to which I replied "I think it might be too hard for you". But he insisted and 40 minutes later he had his own version. The cutting wasn't as neat but overall I was super impressed! So it's definitely do-able, but more children would have success with the project if you used templates. It really depends on your class's ability level. They might all be able to do it no problem!

Unknown said...

An idea for the 4th graders to be able to do this. just have oval mouth opening templates. That way they are not all the same (grrrr) but the students will know how much smaller the next animal has to be to fit in the mouth.

dhanashri.crowdesign said...

Hello everyone , i just came accross this project that you'll are doing, taking a reference for the poster I designed for Sanctuary magazine. I am Dhanashri Ubhayakar the ART DIRECTOR and ILLUSTRATOR of the original design poster that i did while i worked with OGILVY an advertising agency! am pleased that ull are using it as a reference! This poster has won the ONE SHOW GOLD PENCIL and finalist at Cannes as well... hope to hear from you soon...

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2009/sanctuary-magazine-mouths-save-trees/

Miss said...

Hi Dhanashri,
Thanks for your amazing poster design- it inspired such a fun project that my students really enjoyed. Congrats on your award!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Dhanashri. I will definitely reference and credit your design and intent with the students when I use this. What an important project! And Congratulations on your award!

dhanashri.crowdesign said...

Thanks a lot! It's amazing to see the work I did for Sanctuary Asia has reached in schools around the world to learn about the food chain!!! As an illustrator I feel sooo happy, I would really appreciate if u could mention the credits as it's a piece of work close to heart... thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

cool guys great job

Unknown said...

I love this! Are there any templates for the animals I could capture and print out for my younger students?

Miss said...

These were all hand drawn by my students- sorry- no templates!

Ladystamper said...

Love this creative idea! I'm a fifth grade teacher and plan to do this as an extension activity this week. Thanks for sharing!

Miss said...

Thank you Beckie- I hope your students enjoy the project!

Unknown said...

Is there a template for the procedures students should do in order to complete the assignment

Miss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss said...

Unknown: no templates. All hand drawn. Start with the biggest and go to the smallest.

Ainelly said...

This is absolutely amazing! Thanks to this I now have an idea on what to do in our group project!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...