ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Frankenstein Drawing


This was a guided drawing lesson I did with a Grade 1 class. I like to show them how to draw things by breaking them down into simple shapes. For Frankenstein, I always start off with a little explanation of the man/monster and then do a really bad impression of him walking, with my arms outstretched, and then I moan a bit. Most of the kids think it's hilarious, but there's always a couple that are a bit scared!

Anyway, we start off with the head- a big oval with a flat top, then add the rest of the features. We didn't include a neck- simply the shoulders as a straight line to the edge of the paper and a collar for the jacket. I draw it with them, step-by-step in their sketchbooks first, then they draw it themselves again on a large sheet of paper. Outline all the lines with a black marker. Then they coloured them with oil pastels. Looking at these now, I realize we put the bolts in the wrong place- for some reason I thought they came out of his temples, when, in fact, they come out of his neck. My bad.

These drawings always turn out really wacky, funny and a bit creepy!

2 comments:

Art at Chesterbrook Academy Elementary School said...

These Frankenstein drawings are adorable.
I like the triangle legs of the first one.

Miss said...

Thanks Chesterbrook! Actually, those aren't legs; it's his collar on his jacket! But as legs they would be totally cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...