ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Checkerboard Op Art


This was a lesson I left for my Substitute Teacher when I was away at a conference. It is an introductory Op Art lesson, hence I used it with my Grade 6's. It is fairly easy, anyone can teach it and it uses limited materials (only markers). I found the lesson here on the Incredible Art Deaprtment website and altered it a bit.

To be honest, I thought this lesson would be a bit boring, as it's just so much repetitive coloring.  In the end, some kids did complain a bit (the rushers- heh, heh), but not as much as I expected.  I often ask my students how they are enjoying the project if it's the first time I'm teaching it and they are very honest with me (sometimes too much!) -- it is a good gauge for me whether or not I will do the lesson again. 

With this one, the paper was quite large, so next time I would just use regular 8x10"  (A4) paper. One warning- some of the markers ran out; other kids couldn't remember which colour they used the previous class- something to keep in mind if you teach this.


Trace a variety of sizes of circle (we use plastic lids). Draw slightly wavy or straight lines in one direction; rotate the paper and draw some more lines. Don't draw too many lines or it gets too complicated to colour. Mark every other 'section' with a dot- this will be where the darker colour will go. These seem to look best when two very contrasting colors are used.

In-progress

Ta da!












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...