ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April Showers


This is a fun Spring-themed wax resist lesson I found on the Kids Artists blog

So I gave my Grade 6 students a handout showing different types of spring flowers. 
They chose one to draw nice and big on a sheet of heavy white paper.


Then, using a white wax crayon and a ruler, draw vertical lines or dashes down the page.
These will act as stylized 'raindrops'. Make sure to press HARD with the wax crayon.


Then paint with watercolours- the wax crayons lines will magically emerge- kids love this part.
I don't know why, but sooo many students chose to draw snowdrops- it was, by far,
the most popular flower.


Ta da!





I like how this student did dotted lines- she wanted a more realistic looking rain and I think it is very effective.






5 comments:

Jacquelien said...

These are very beautiful! I love the daffodils drawing! Thanks for mentioning my blog.

Art For Little Hands said...

What a beautiful idea!

Art at Chesterbrook Academy Elementary School said...

I like the idea of the white wax crayon.
The effect in texture is beautiful.

Miss said...

Jacquelien- thank you for the project idea! Yes, the daffodils is my favourite as well.

Thanks Art For Little hands and Chesterbrook!

Christine Penner said...

I'm always 3 years late on all my comments but my grade 4's did this project as well!

You can see the results at Confessions of a Modern Day [ex] Substitute Teacher

Christine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...