I found this super adorable ladybug project HERE on the Georgetown Elementary Art Blog. I also did it with my Grade 1 class- I have a big 'insects in art' unit I do with them, so this fit in nicely.
Day 1: I pre-cut 12 x 18" white paper into squares. They drew a border and painted it using tempera pucks. I love the convenience of these. I encouraged them to use a light colour for the center part (like yellow). That way, the ladybug that is glued on will really show up.
The next class, students made their ladybugs out of red and black construction paper. They glued the body down frist, then an oval head on top. We used reinforcements for the eyes. The legs and antennae were drawn on using a black marker.
They're so cute!